DESIGN / ANALYSIS TREATMENT OF "HAIRPIN CONNECTIONS"

 I HAVE SEEN (ON SEVERAL DRAWINGS) THE USE OF BENT REINFORCING STEEL
 (USUALLY BENT AT 135 DEGREES) WHICH IS PLACED IN THE TOP OF A CONCRETE
 PIER (JUST BELOW THE COLUMN BASE PLATE AND AROUND THE BACKSIDE OF THE
 ANCHOR BOLTS) AND TIES THE PIER TOP INTO THE CONCRETE SLAB ON GRADE.  THIS
 IS A TYPICAL DETAIL FOR PRE-ENGINEERED METAL BUILDING WHERE THE LATERAL
 THRUST LOAD IS TRANSMITTED INTO THE SLAB-ON-GRADE SUCH THAT IT HELPS
 RESIST ANY LATERAL FORCES.  IF ANYONE KNOWS OF A GOOD DESIGN/ANALYSIS
 REFERENCE FOR THIS CONNECTION PLEASE LET ME KNOW.  (I'M ASSUMING ITS JUST
 A MATTER OF DEVELOPING SUFFICIENT TENSILE STRENGTH IN THE REBAR TO
 TRANSMIT THE THRUST LOAD).