Re: 97 UBC Adoption date

Rhkratzse(--nospam--at)aol.com wrote:

> In a message dated 11/24/98 11:14:46 AM, Rick.Drake(--nospam--at)fluordaniel.com writes:
> >Or should we assume that the 2000 IBC
> >will be adopted in mid 2002?
>
> What's wrong with this picture?  Is anyone else bothered by the lack of "Truth
> in Advertising" (a 1997 UBC that's really a 1999 UBC; a 2000 IBC that's really
> a 2002 IBC)?

It's just government at its best.  In reality, the 1997 UBC will always be just
that.  The California Code (the CBC) will be the 1998 (1999?) CBC.
For better or worse, here is how and why it works this way per California statute
law:

1.    Model Code is published by ICBO (ICC) typically in May of the title year.
2.    State must adopt the California Building Code (UBC plus state agency
amendments) within 1 year.  [Cal H&SC 18928]  This date was missed by almost by 8
months.
3.    Local jurisdiction effective date 180 days after publication  of CBC [Cal
H&SC 18941.5(a)]

The avowed purpose of this scheme is uniformity of standards across all state
agencies and local jurisdictions at any given point in time.

This is unlikely to change in the future and may drag out further in the 2000 IBC
based cycle due the amount of time necessary to refit the current state amendments
to the new code.  This, of course, assumes California will make the IBC its "Model
Code".   Stay tuned!

Bob Bossi