RE: CONCRETE: Steel Fiber Reinforced Concrete (SFRC)`

Contact http://www.bakaert.com/building.

Steel fibers are an excellent substitute for mild steel reinforcing. Slabs
on grade are not required to be conventionally reinforced under UBC 1923.
Fibers can be substituted for the rebar we would typically use or the doping
can be increased to allow the slab thickness to be reduced. Depending on the
base and the loading on the slab an inch or more can be taken off a 6" thick
slab. Slabs on grade are typically designed based on crack control. The
modulus of rupture is an important attribute of concrete in this regard.
Steel fibers increase the cracking resistance and allow the slab to endure
higher bending stresses than normal.

A conventionally reinforced slab still needs to be thick enough to resist
the onset of cracking. Increasing the amount of conventional reinforcement
will not allow a slab thickness reduction since it has no effect on the
cracking moment.

Mark E. Deardorff, SE
Deardorff & Deardorff, Inc., Ramona, CA
< mailto:MarkD(--nospam--at)DandDEng.com> < http://DandDEng.com>