Re: FEM modeling of roof diaphragms

>You can use a plate element with an orthotropic material to represent
>different rigidities in X and Y directions.
True as far as it goes. It gets a little tricky, since you need to model
different rigidities in both directions for axial, bending and shear
also have some trouble figuring stresses, since the thicknesses involved
may not me the material thickness as modelled. I think the ASCE applied
mechanics division has some papers on this topic.

http://www.skypoint.com/~chrisw