Re: DESIGN / ANALYSIS TREATMENT OF "HAIRPIN CONNECTIONS"

Robert:

A good reference for metal building foundations is the Foundation Design
and Construction Manual
put out by Bulter Manufacturing and Computerized Structural Design in the
early 1980's.  It is out
of print now for liability reasons.  It has a good section on the design of
hairpin bars and tie beams.

----------
> From: Robert Rogers <robert.rogers(--nospam--at)woolpert.com>
> To: SEAINT(--nospam--at)seaint.org
> Subject: DESIGN / ANALYSIS TREATMENT OF "HAIRPIN CONNECTIONS"
> Date: Wednesday, November 25, 1998 10:42 AM
>
>  I HAVE SEEN (ON SEVERAL DRAWINGS) THE USE OF BENT REINFORCING STEEL
>  (USUALLY BENT AT 135 DEGREES) WHICH IS PLACED IN THE TOP OF A CONCRETE
>  PIER (JUST BELOW THE COLUMN BASE PLATE AND AROUND THE BACKSIDE OF THE
>  ANCHOR BOLTS) AND TIES THE PIER TOP INTO THE CONCRETE SLAB ON GRADE.
THIS
>  IS A TYPICAL DETAIL FOR PRE-ENGINEERED METAL BUILDING WHERE THE LATERAL
>  THRUST LOAD IS TRANSMITTED INTO THE SLAB-ON-GRADE SUCH THAT IT HELPS
>  RESIST ANY LATERAL FORCES.  IF ANYONE KNOWS OF A GOOD DESIGN/ANALYSIS
>  REFERENCE FOR THIS CONNECTION PLEASE LET ME KNOW.  (I'M ASSUMING ITS
JUST