RE: Christmas Trees :)

Dear Lynn:

Las year I need to do some calculation to fix a xmas tree in a shopping in
Buenos Aires. I do the following:

1st.
I supose that the tree was impermeable to the wind and it was conical

2do.
Our Wind load code (CIRSOC) has a reference speed call beta (here is 27.2
m/s 97.92 km/hs Aprox 61.2 mph).

3rd.
The wind speed to calculate the preasure in te tree is Vo= cp * beta

cp is a probabilistic coeficient that multiply the reference speed. In
almost structures this coeficient is cp=1.65 but in temporary structures
this coeficient is
cp=1.16

4th
My client tell me the weith of the tree.

5th
I fix it with epoxi anchors.

the rest of the procedure is the same to any structure.

Hope this help

Ing. Juan Constantinidis
CyA Ingenieria
Bs.As. Argentina