Re: Re[2]: 97 UBC Adoption date - 2000 I

I agree that errors and omissions are likely to occur if the IBC is put
together without thorough study by all concerned parties, especially
structural engineers.  But the world is changing rapidly and international
trading and commerce are commonplace.  (Had anyone in the USA even heard of
ISO 10 years ago?)

It will probably be left up to us (SEAOC) to ensure that the proper amendments
are added to the IBC prior to adoption as code by California and local
jurisdictions.  (Just as the 1997 UBC has not yet been amended or adopted in
California.) From what I have seen and heard of the proposed IBC 2000, we will
face a difficult task if we want our building codes to maintain the current
provisions for seismic design and construction.  Now is the time to get
involved so that we are not saddled with an inadequate code a few years from
now.

James Parker, P.E.
Long Beach, CA