Re: Min. masonry reinf

Assuming that minimum reinforcing will provide adequate strength capacity for
the
section being designed, I have found that many masonry contractors prefer to
deal with
less vertical steel. For instance, if minimum reinforcing satisfies the
strength criteria,
I would use .0007bt for vertical and (.002-.0007)bt for horizontal. (Those
vertical bars
get in the way - ouch).

Of course this approach depends on your specific condition. In some instances
have modeled retaining walls with lots of corners and the horizontal moments
are
larger than the vertical, requiring more horizontal steel (this really
confuses contractors).
than vertical.  Also, it would seem to me that in the case of a wall (walls
generally
being longer than tall), there would be a tendancy to provide more temperature
and
shrinkage reinforcing.