From: ASLCSE(--nospam--at)aol.com [mailto:ASLCSE(--nospam--at)aol.com]
Sent: Wednesday, December 02, 1998 5:34 PM
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: Wood Beam Repairs

Dear fellow engineers:

Here is the situation:
Existing (30 years) Balcony, DFL 4x12 beams (exposed,  with redwood spaced
1x6's) , cantileverded (with back spans into the building). Front prtopn of
beams have severe dry-rot damage.

Suggested repair: Cut offf infected portion at a 45 deg angle, add new piece
of 4x12 glued to existing, add 2x12 both sides (full cantilever length) and
staggered bolts.

Questions: a) What kind of glue should be used (4x12 to 4x12) ?
                 b) How can I prevent the added 4x12 and 2x12's from future
dry-rot ?
                 c) Do exposed Parallams or Microlams resist dry-rot ?

Your input will be greatly appreciated

Antonio S. "Tony" Luisoni
Consulting SE
aslcse(--nospam--at)aol.com
aslcse(--nospam--at)worldnet.att.net  (preferred response address)