waterproofing

I am designing a small remodel which involves basement walls in Northen
California. I would like to know who is responsible for specifying the
type of the waterproofing and any associated details. Should I call out
a generic name? Does the contractor know what to do? Or is it the
responsibility of the architect? I would appreciate any input. Thaks in
advance.