Re: Min. masonry reinf

In a message dated 12/2/98 4:21:41 PM EST, SHERMANWC(--nospam--at)cdm.com writes:

<< I have a 12-inch thick concrete masonry wall to be reinforced per UBC's
 minimum reinforcing requirements for Seismic Zone 3 (i.e., total vert +
 horiz
 reinf greater than 0.002 times gross area of wall).  Any recommendations on
 the most economical arrangement of vertical reinforced cells and horizontal
 bond beams (and/or horizontal joint reinforcement) to satisfy the code?

If you are going to be 32" or less on center for vertical or horizontal
reinforcing, it is probably not practical to use "grout reinforced cells
only".  In California it is quite typical to have the bars at 24" on center
each way for a 12" wall if you are using #5 bars (all cells grouted, and
inspection required).  As the bars get larger it is more difficult to handle.
I would try to avoid going larger than #7, especially if you consider lap
splices and hook requirements in shear walls.  I personally would not space
the bars furthur apart than  32 inches on center.

Michael Cochran