Re: Min. masonry reinf

Thanks to all who responded to my question on minimum masonry reinforcement
-
it sounds like maximum spacing of vertical cells is most economical if
partially grouted.  The suggestion of 1-#6@48" vertical and 2-#6@48"
horizontal sounds like a good solution for the typical application.

"And now for the rest of the story" - my project is in Massachusetts.  Its
seismic zone is more like UBC Seismic Zone 2A but the Massachusetts State
Building Code requires masonry shear walls to be reinforced consistent with
UBC's Zone 3 requirements.  Also, we are using Korfil Hi-R 12-inch masonry
block - this is an insulated block system which incorporates rigid
insulation
within the cells and precludes two mats of steel.  We currently are
proposing
to use 1-#6@32" vertical and 1-#6@48" horizontal.  Fully grouted may be a
good
idea here.

Regarding Harold's question on experience with full vs partial grouting,
outside of the west coast I haven't encountered any regions in which fully
grouted CMU is considered "standard".  I normally use partially grouted
except
when "by judgement" the amount of grouted cells warrant fully grouted CMU.