>From my experience here on the West Coast, partially grouted walls are much
more common than fully grouted walls.  In Malaysia, they prefer unreinforced
brick and the plaster coat that you mentioned.  I never understood how those
walls calc'd out.  Must be in the tensile capacity of the plaster :-).

Curt La Count
Jacobs Engineering
Portland, OR

 ----------
From: Harold Sprague
To: 'seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org'
Subject: RE: Min. masonry reinf
Date: Friday, December 04, 1998 12:43PM

Curt,

While we are on the topic.  What is the prevailing thought on partial vs.
fully grouted walls?  One of the driving factors for engineers in California
is the lack of full scale seismic testing for partially grouted walls.  Is
this still true today?

My experience indicates the inertia is:

Fully grouted - California

Partially grouted - Missouri, Kansas, Florida, Colorado, Wyoming, etc.

How about Texas, Oregon, Washington, Canada, New Zealand, etc.?  Vote your
state or country.  I had a very difficult time getting any reinforcing in
CMU walls in the UK.  Thailand reinforced the walls, but the QC on the units
was marginal to the point that they usually apply a cement plaster over the
whole wall to cover it up.

Regards,
Harold Sprague
The Neenan Company