"z" limit requirement

Hello Everybody,

For any concrete beam (floor, roof or grade beams), are we REQUIRED by
UBC
1910.6.4 to ALWAYS check the "z" (distribution of flexural
reinforcement)?
Most concrete beam design softwares and beam design examples from books
does
not check this. When I design a concrete beam (especially a grade beam),
most of the time I need a lot more rebar due to the "z" requirement than
required by  flexure. Should we ALWAYS check them? Or only on certain
conditions?
Thanks in advance for the input.

A.M.
or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]