Re: Partially grouted CMU walls in seismic areas

In a message dated 12/7/98 11:15:02 AM, acie_chance(--nospam--at)wdi.disney.com writes:

> I have visited job sites where I specified only
>cells with rebar to be grouted and found the contractor had grouted all
>cells.

On the other side of the coin, a long time ago in a state other than my
present one, my office did a final inspection of a multi-story (6 or 8, I
forget) retirement housing structure with load-bearing CMU walls that we had
designed in a high seismic zone.  Idly tapping some ground story walls which
were to be fully grouted our engineer noticed that they sounded hollow.
Further investigation found them to be completely ungrouted!  The contractor
said there was too much rebar to get the grout in.  The building was finished
and about to be occupied.  Needless to say a bit of work was needed to make
the building safe.  When does inadequate construction become criminal?

Ralph Hueston Kratz, S.E.
Richmond CA