Re: Partially grouted CMU walls in seismic areas

In a message dated 12/7/98 11:15:14 AM Pacific Standard Time,
acie_chance(--nospam--at)wdi.disney.com writes:

<< Note of caution to those of you who specify partially grouted CMU walls. On
 two different occasions I have visited job sites where I specified only
 cells with rebar to be grouted and found the contractor had grouted all
 cells. >>

For exactly this reason, we design all of walls as solidly grouted (with rare
exceptions, of course).  And, yes, I do think it is easier for the contractor
and creates a better wall.

Bruce Resnick, SE
Parker Resnick Str. Eng.