Re: Glossary

Dear SC Leong:

You might contact one of your university professors who would know the
equivalent Korean technical words for these technical -- legalese English
words.

Meanwhile,  here's my feeble attempt to explain which I'm sure someone will
correct me on if I'm wrong

In a message dated 12/8/1998 12:32:53 AM Pacific Standard Time,
jeong(--nospam--at)mail.dwconst.co.kr writes:

> Whenever reading text regarding seismic design, I have some problem. What
>  is the difference between code, provision, specification, standard,
article?

>  I know code are based on law....but provision, specification (ex. AISC-
LRFD),
>  provision, standard, article?
>
>  AISC-LRFD(1994) uses following sentence in Forward (pp. 4).
>
>  "Referenced Specifications, Codes, and Standards"
>
>  I can't distinguish these terms.

Codes refer to a group of rules or law adopted by a government or regulatory
advisory group
Standards typically refer to a group of criteria that provide a minimal
measure of acceptable quality or performance.
Specifications are a group of written and/or drawn definitions and details
that specifically state the criteria desired for the object/system in use.
Provisions in this context means the conditions or stipulations contained
within the specs, codes and standards.  So, when you are designing in
accordance with the provisions of the AISC-LRFD, it means your design complies
and satisfies the conditions and content of the LRFD manual.

In a very general sense, for structural engineers, codes standards and
specifications mean the same thing, but are just different semantics or words
reflecting their legal / historical sources.  They all get used in designing
stuff.

AISC is the American Institute of Steel Construction
The AISC's referenced specifications, codes and standards points towards USA
specs, codes and standards commonly in use in the USA, which are incorporated
in the LRFD manual by reference, i.e., rather than duplicating all of the
details in those reference standards,  it is assumed you will refer to those
and understand those specs, codes and standards when using the LRFD design
manual.

Hope this helps, and hope this broadens our purported international SEAINT
intents.

Ron Fong, P.E.
Fremont,  California, USA