Re: Glossary

S. C. Jeong wrote:

> What is the difference between code, provision, specification, standard,
article? ... AISC-LRFD(1994) uses following sentence in Forward(pp. 4):
"Referenced Specifications, Codes, and Standards".  I can't distinguish
these
terms. <

I don't have any official definitions, but I'll give my own general
interpretations:

code: a document which is generally adopted by a governmental agency to have
the force of law; it can govern both design and construction requirements;
"model building codes" don't have any legal standing in and of themselves,
but
must be adopted by the governing authority.

standard: a procedure generally recognized by an industry as defining the
minimum recommended requirements for the stated item; generally more limited
in scope than a code or specification.  (Example: AWWA D100, "Standard for
Welded Steel Tanks for Water storage", i.e. limited to one type of tank.)

specification: a group of procedures generally recognized by an industry as
defining the minimum recommended requirements for the type of work
described;
"standard specifications" typically are referred to from other documents
(such
as a project specification or another code or specification) to incorporate
the requirements into the main document without repeating the full text.
(Example: ACI 301, Standard Specification for Structural Concrete; typically
referred to from a project specification to cover concrete work in general.)

provisions or articles: these terms typically refer to subsections or
specific
requirements of any of the above types of documents.

Unfortunately, there are exceptions to any definition and the terms can be
used for similar types of documents.  (AISC does appear to use a different
set
of definitions: the "Specification for Structural Steel Buildings" looks
more
like a "code" to me; the "Code of Standard Practice" looks more like a
"standard specification" for construction to me.  I guess I'm more used to
the
definitions in the concrete industry.)  But my most common usage is to
design
a structure per the "code", specify to a Contractor how to build it with
"specifications", and refer to "standards" for specific materials and types
of
construction.

Hope this helps sort it out some.