Re: Masonry Expansion Joints

The discussion of masonry reinforcing reminded me of expansion joint I saw in
Mesa Arizona while visiting folks who retired there.  It was at a tract of new
single family residences built with masonry exterior walls and wood roofs.  I
noticed that the vertical expansion joints were located at one end of sliding
glass door openings.  The location made sense since this is at the weak link
of thermal contraction.  But how do lintels for the openings find bearing with
the expansion joint at the end?

Perhaps the expansion joints I saw aren't true expansion joints and that all
the horizontal reinforcing continues through?

In my practice, vertical expansion joints are indicated on masonry wall
elevations (I use 2x wall height as the maximum spacing as Jim Amhrein once
recommended).  However, when there are numerous door and window openings,
locating the expansion joint between the openings seem futile.  I should like
to locate the expansion joint at the edge of an opening.

Any thought?

Brad Smith