Truss Connection Design

Hello,

I have a truss that I am designing the connections for a steel
fabricator.  The calculations are required to be stamped per the EOR and
he provides me with the magnitude of the forces.  The truss consists of
W10 chords with HSS webs that vary from 2 x 2 x 3/16 to 3 x 3 x 1/4.  The
fabricator wants to use a plate, centered over the web of the W10's, and
slot the hss sections and weld.  I am planning on designing the plate as
a short column using the distance from the end of the tube to the flange
of the W10 as l and using a K = 1.0.  r will be calculated using the
thickness of the plate and an assumed effective width (I am planning on
using 4").  Any other ideas or concerns with this method?  This truss is
a pipe rack support spanning 75 feet in a non-seismic zone and a wind
speed of 80 mph.

thanks for the help,

Mike