Truss Connection Design

Mike,

Plates in compression cannot be designed by using the conventional Euler
buckling equations.  Accidental eccentricity and distortion play too much a
part in reducing the capacity of the plate.

I will typically use the criteria for cover plate capacity rather than the
Euler formula.  Otherwise, you can use the more complicated formulas in,
"Guide to Stability Design for Metal Structures."

A. Roger Turk, P.E.(Structural)
Tucson, Arizona

Mike Zaitz wrote:

. > Hello,
. >
. > I have a truss that I am designing the connections for a steel
. > fabricator.  The calculations are required to be stamped per the EOR and
. > he provides me with the magnitude of the forces.  The truss consists of
. > W10 chords with HSS webs that vary from 2 x 2 x 3/16 to 3 x 3 x 1/4.  The
. > fabricator wants to use a plate, centered over the web of the W10's, and
. > slot the hss sections and weld.  I am planning on designing the plate as
. > a short column using the distance from the end of the tube to the flange
. > of the W10 as l and using a K = 1.0.  r will be calculated using the
. > thickness of the plate and an assumed effective width (I am planning on
. > using 4").  Any other ideas or concerns with this method?  This truss is
. > a pipe rack support spanning 75 feet in a non-seismic zone and a wind
. > speed of 80 mph.
. >
. > thanks for the help,
. >