Concrete Pan Joist

I am doing my first pan joist project and have run into a question about
spandrel beams.  PCA Notes based on ACI 89 shows a method where you
calculate to cracking torque on the spandrel (due to gravity loads).  You
then limit the pan joist neg. moment at the spandrel end to the cracking
torque.  The remainder of the negative moment is the transferred to the
other end of the pan joist.  The PCA Notes for ACI 95 talks about how
different the torsion portions are from previous codes.  This method is not
discussed in PCA 95 and the example problem in 89 is omitted in 95.  Is
there anything in the 95 code to prevent you from using this method?  I
guess I'm a little afraid that the example was omitted BECAUSE they don't
want people to do this anymore.

Thanks,

John Jones
Pell City, AL

BEGIN:VCARD
VERSION:2.1
N:Jones;John;;;
FN:John C. Jones (E-mail)
ORG:Bob Barnett, P.E.;
TITLE:
TEL;WORK;VOICE:(205) 884-5334
TEL;CELL;VOICE:(205) 365-4409
TEL;WORK;FAX:(205) 884-0099
ADR;WORK:;;;;;;
LABEL;WORK;ENCODING=QUOTED-PRINTABLE:, =0D=0A
EMAIL;PREF;INTERNET:jcjones(--nospam--at)pell.net
REV:19981112T233708Z
END:VCARD