Timber Connections

Byron,

Does section 8.2.4 and figure 8B ('91 NDS) apply to what you want to do?

A. Roger Turk, P.E.(Structural)
Tucson, Arizona

Byron Benson wrote:

. > To all you timber gurus out there,
. >
. > I need to design some timber connections with bolts through the end grain
. > of rafters cut on a slope for a 6:12 pitch. The '91 NDS has provisions
. > for shear plates and split rings in end grain but don't seem to address
. > only bolts in end grain. As a timber carpenter, I installed many
. > rafter-to-hip connections where the bolts were installed through the end
. > grain of the rafter, which was cut at a very sharp angle, without shear
. > plates or split rings so there must be a procedure somewhere. Would it be
. > appropriate to use the provisions for lag screws installed at an angle to
. > the grain and adjust the value by the end grain factor?
. >
. > Any help would be appreciated.
. >
. > Thanks,