Re: railings

I doubt that the lawyers will accept that conclusion, Mike!

On a related matter, has anyone else had difficulty convincing an architect
that 1 1/4-inch diameter standard pipe guardrail posts do not accommodate
the code required concentrated force of 200 pounds or a uniform load of 50
pounds per foot at the top of the rail (at a height of 3'-6")?

Using ASD, we've determined that it's necessary to utilize 1 1/2-inch
diameter extra-strong pipe at a maximum spacing of 4'-6" on center.  The
architects don't like this because the outside diameter of 1 1/2-inch pipe
is 1.90 inches.  They prefer to keep the O.D. to 1 1/2 inches (even though
the O.D. of 1 1/4-inch pipe is 1.66"!).

I continue to see drawings prepared by other architects or A/E's that
overlook this requirement.  Although railing systems are generally
addressed on the architectural drawings and/or specifications, we feel duty
bound to bring this to their attention.

Jon D. Jelinek, P.E.
SPECTRA Consulting Engineers
Austin, TX