Re: railings

> From: Mike Brown <mike.brown(--nospam--at)cshqa.com>

> was that there was no structural defect, corrosion, etc.=A0 The fault =
> lies
> with abnormal crowding at the rails.=A0 Apparently this has happened at
> other sport stadiums as well.
> =A0
> My question is if railings have failed during sporting events due to
> excessive crowding (which seems to always be the case), why not =
> increase
> the load parameters for these railings?=A0 I understand that this is an

Canadian code requires much higher loads, than US codes, for railings at
stadia. The problem then becomes one of crushing at the front of a mob
rather than fall from height. Ground level barriers can easily be
designed to release under mob pressure but guards at height would reuire
an escape route or spillover zone. The lifesaving cost is small but the
architectural cost can be large.

--
Paul Ransom, P.Eng.           |  Good at what I do
Civil/Structural/Project      |  Doing what I want