COMP: Lateral Pro

I have had the opportunity to review Lateral Pro 4.0 (includes UBC '97 and
perforated shear walls) and I have found it to be extremely productive. I
have reviewed this software on an ACTUAL project and it has saved me a lot
of time while affording the opportunity to do more "what if" scenarios and
provide more detailed analysis.

Version 4 (still DOS) calculates the redundancy factor (rho) required in the
'97 UBC analysis. Other codes are included as well and is user selectable.
Additionally, provisions for perforated shear walls (in accordance with APA
Report 157) and adjusts the shear strength requirements based on solidity
ratios (Building Official approval required on a project by project basis).
Additionally, the program calculates drag forces and accumulated hold down
forces for multi-story structures.

Further, the program's author, Chuck Williams has gone above and beyond in
getting me going on my projects and is very service oriented.

As with any program, it doesn't do *everything*, but it does a lot and it
does more than any other piece of software for the design and analysis of
plywood shear walls and diaphragms. The Windows version is due out in
January.

I highly recommend this program to anyone who designs wood structures.
Lateral Pro's web site address is:

http://www.lateralpro.com

The version referenced at the web site is 3.1 (pre-UBC 1997). Apparently,
Lateral Pro has been spending their time upgrading their software rather
than updating their website. Better priorities, IMO.

Chuck can be reached at (425) 836-2833.

I am providing this information for no other reason than the fact I am very
satisfied with both the program (that doesn't happen often) and the service
I have received.

Bill Allen