RE: COMP: Lateral Pro

Bill, that actual author of the program (and the original publisher) is Mark
Chang. I heard rumors that Mark was working with another company who
intended to market the software. I thought it might have been the Canadian
Wood Council, but I might be wrong on this. We ran a review of the program
in SEAOC Online a few years ago.
I too, thought it was an excellent program. The output was very clear and
Mark (who was doing tech support at the time) was very responsive to his
uses.
One caution about perforated shear wall analysis. AF&PA presented a panel
discussion on the method at the September Wood Fair in Long Beach. The panel
was comprised of the building officials from Long Beach (Eugene Zeller), Tim
McCormic (Building Official in Santa Monica), Andrew Adelman (new building
official in Los Angeles), John Lawson and John Rose (APA).
The general consensus was one of skepticism by the panel and majority of
those in the audience. The largest concern was at the door openings and the
lack of ties at the narrow piers. It's possible that the speaker could not
adequately answer the audience questions because the method is based upon
empirical testing rather than a formal methodology.
I would approach perforated shear wall design with some caution. The
building officials at the panel discussion told the audience that they would
not accept submittals at this time until more information is received.

Regards
Dennis