*From: Dennis S. Wish PE [mailto:wish(--nospam--at)cwia.com]
*Sent: Sunday, December 13, 1998 10:00 PM
*To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
*Subject: RE: COMP: Lateral Pro
*Bill, that actual author of the program (and the original
*publisher) is Mark
*Chang. I heard rumors that Mark was working with another company who
*intended to market the software. I thought it might have been
*the Canadian
*Wood Council, but I might be wrong on this. We ran a review of
*the program
*in SEAOC Online a few years ago.
*I too, thought it was an excellent program. The output was
*very clear and
*Mark (who was doing tech support at the time) was very
*responsive to his
*uses.
*One caution about perforated shear wall analysis. AF&PA
*presented a panel
*discussion on the method at the September Wood Fair in Long
*Beach. The panel
*was comprised of the building officials from Long Beach
*(Eugene Zeller), Tim
*McCormic (Building Official in Santa Monica), Andrew Adelman
*(new building
*official in Los Angeles), John Lawson and John Rose (APA).
*The general consensus was one of skepticism by the panel and
*majority of
*those in the audience. The largest concern was at the door
*openings and the
*lack of ties at the narrow piers. It's possible that the
*speaker could not
*adequately answer the audience questions because the method is
*based upon
*empirical testing rather than a formal methodology.
*I would approach perforated shear wall design with some caution. The
*building officials at the panel discussion told the audience
*that they would
*not accept submittals at this time until more information is received.
*
*Regards
*Dennis
*