From: Bill Sherman [mailto:SHERMANWC(--nospam--at)cdm.com]
Sent: Monday, December 14, 1998 1:06 PM
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: OSHA stairs

For fixed industrial stairs, OSHA requires in paragraph 1910.24-(c): "Fixed
stairways shall be designed and constructed to carry a load of five times
the normal live load anticipated but never of less strength than to carry
safely a moving concentrated load of 1,000 pounds."  UBC requires exit
stairways to be designed for 100 psf or a concentrated load of 300-pounds.
If you are installing a stair in an industrial building which could also act
as an exit stairway, how is OSHA to be applied?

Are the loads given by OSHA to be applied as "working loads" at basic
allowable stress or to be compared to yield or ultimate strengths?  For a
live load of 100 psf, do they really mean to design the stair for 5 times
100 psf?
If the stair is not an exit stair, what does "normal live load anticipated
mean"?  I find the inconsistency in these provisions rather confusing and
difficult to apply.