RE: OSHA stairs

As I understand it, the requirement is a strength requirement where the
failure criteria is actual collapse.  The factor of 5 is similiar to that
for hoisting gear.  The normal load anticipated is just that, not
necessarily the design load specified by the building code.  Therefore,
unless the stair serves an assembly area, the actual load is more likely 50
psf (approximately a 300 pound person on alternate treads).

Ed Marshall, PE