From: Robert Rogers [SMTP:robert.rogers(--nospam--at)woolpert.com]
Sent: Tuesday, December 15, 1998 6:10 AM
To: SEAINT
Subject: Use of Side Friction to Resist Overturning - Spread Footing

 I have recently seen a set of calculations for the design of reinforced
 concrete spread footings (for a new building) which support building
 columns which are subjected to large lateral loading.  The spread
footings
 are approximately 5 ft. deep (to bottom of footing), 2 ft. thick, and
have
 a 3' tall square pier which receives the square column.  The
calculations
 assume a value of 500 psf for side friction on the 2' thick footing.
 The
 forces generated by this side friction are supposed to help resist the
 overturning moment imposed to the footing.  I have never seen this type
of
 analysis used for spread footing design.  I think the methodology is way

 out in left field !  Any other opinions ?