RE: Use of Side Friction to Resist Overturning - Spread Footing

I definitely agree with you!!  Side friction depends upon a lateral force
perpendicular to the side of the footing, which would be hard to guarantee,
and the soil may be removed down to the bottom of the footing at some time
in the future.  I also doubt the building code allows this.