Re: Wood Structure Design/Reference Book

In a message dated 12/15/98 9:09:00 PM Pacific Standard Time,
strapac(--nospam--at)mindspring.com writes:

<< Tahir,
 About the best is "Design of Wood Structures, 3rd Ed." by Don Breyer,
 Professor at Cal Poly Pomona. It is $63 from www.amazon.com and they say it
 ships within 24 hours.

 Steve Strapac, PE >>

In a message dated 12/15/98 8:53:23 PM Pacific Standard Time, Charlie Canitz
wrote
<<<Tahir -
  One book I've found extremely helpful is the "Timber Solutions Manual". It's
packed with examples for the design of beams, columns, horizontal diaphragms,
shearwalls, and connections(nails, bolts and lag screws). The only potential
problem is it's based on the 1991 NDS. However, cross referencing the 1997 NDS
and adjusting the problems accordingly shouldn't be a problem. The cost is
$54.95 which includes shipping. The publisher is:  Argulus Publishing
                    539 Tabony Ave.
                    Henderson, NV 89015

Charlie Canitz, PE
Bel Air, MD>>>

I would agree that both of the above books are good additions to your wood
library.  Another one that rates consideration is:

"Wood Engineering and Construction Handbook" edited by Keith F. Faherty and
Thomas G. Williamson, McGraw Hill  The version I have is the 2nd edition but
they just came out with a 3rd edition in November. It can be ordered from:

http://mcgraw-hill.inforonics.com/

at $89.95.  It has a good treatment of diaphragms and shear walls with
openings by Ed Diekmann.

Bill Cain, SE
Albany, CA