Re: Wood Structure Design/Reference Book

From: TahirQ(--nospam--at)aol.com <TahirQ(--nospam--at)aol.com>
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org <seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org>
Date: Tuesday, December 15, 1998 8:52 PM
Subject: Wood Structure Design/Reference Book

>Hello There Engineers:
>
>Please write me the name of a GOOD reference book which can help in
designing
>structures using WOOD and Engineered Wood etc.  Also where to buy it.
>
>Thanks in advance.
>
>REGARDS,
>TAHIR QURESHI, PE

Response from Bruce Pooley

The American Institute of Timber Construction (AITC) and John Wiley & Sons
publish the Timber Construction Manual (TCM), 4th Ed. that is available from
AITC by calling 303-792-9559. The cost is $94 that includes shipping and
handling. You can also obtain ordering information at the AITC web site at
www.aitc-glulam.org . The TCM provides design requirements, recommendations
and examples for wood and glulam beams, columns, arches, tapered beams,
curved beams, and pitched and tapered beams. Chapter 6 provides information
on design of structural systems for trusses, pole-type framing, timber piles
and timber bridges. Chapter 7 contains design information on fasteners,
bolts, lag screws, timber connectors (shear plates, split rings), nails,
wood screws and other fasteners.

Bruce Pooley
Timber Design
3448 South Newland Court