re : Concrete and Oil

Mark McCormick wrote:

>I have a situation in an older building where oil has leaked out of a
>printing press machine onto a concrete slab. So much oil has
>leaked over the years that can see the oil from the underside of the
>slab.
>My question is: what effect does this have on the concrete
>chemistry and the slab structurally?

Much would depend on the type of oil. Assuming it is purely petroleum
oil it would not affect the structural properties of the concrete.
However some lubricating oils contain vegetable or animal fatty oils
which can cause disintegration.

PCA has a publication titled "Effect of Substances on Concrete and Guide
to Protective Treatments" which is quite comprehensive.
--

Daniel A. Estabrooks  P.Eng.
Estabrooks Consultants Inc.

Tel: 506-674-1810