RE: Crane Columns and Girders

We have used two approaches to this situation.  The first is to brace the
outboard columns with raker braces.  The other is to run a box girder with
interior stiffeners over the columns and tie the ends of the outside crane
girder back to the crane girder line and building columns with horizontal
struts.  Therefore you have say 20' vertical spans and a 80' horizontal span
for the outside runway.  Also, with the second approach fatigue becomes a
big consideration due to reversing stresses.

Ed Marshall, PE