Retrofit of Existing RC Spread Footings for Additional Loads

 I have recently searched the SEAINT E-Mail Archive for any information on
 modifying existing reinforced concrete spread footings to carry additional
 column loads.  Although I have found some posts they have provided little
 information which I could extract for useful purposes.  I have also performed
 a search of COMPENDEX for similar information.  My success has been limited.

 When placing new columns right beside an existing line of spread footings
 (interconnected by strip footings) substructure interferences abound.  In
 one particular case, the spread footing protrude 5 to 8 ft. into a new
 building area (where new columns are coming down).  I am searching for any
 good references (journal articles, practice periodicals, etc.) which deals
 with the design/analysis methodology of increasing the plan dimensions of
 the existing footings to pick-up and carry the new columns loads.  I know I
 will end up with a combined mat footing which could dictate a slab on an
 elastic foundation analysis.

 I am more interested in connection details (new concrete to old, cap system
 over the existing foundation, etc.).  I have found one article in the
 Transportation Research Record (No. 1476, Seismic Retrofitting of Bridge
 Substructures) which was helpful.  Can anybody else point me in a good
 direction or offer some advice ?

 Thanks

 P.S (use of piles or caissons cannot be used).