RE: Swimming pools

I remember the report on the Swiss ceiling failing and think that I still
have the clippings around somewhere.  From (somewhat) pure memory, I think
that the problem had to do with the hanger wires embedded in plaster, but
don't remember if the wires were stainless steel or not.  If I recall
correctly, a couple of deaths occurred in this mishap.

Wires embedded in plaster was also a cause of a subway station ceiling in New
Jersey at about the same time.

I will try to look thru my clippings and see what I can find.

Merry Christmas!

A. Roger Turk, P.E.(Structural)
Tucson, Arizona

. > Dear All;
. >
. > Do not use stainless steel in a situation like this.  A Swiss engineer
. > used stainless steel wires to support a suspended concrete slab over the
. > pool and the chlorine ate the wires causing the slab to collapse. The
. > engineer lost his license because of this.
. >
. > Patrick Rodgers
. >
. >
. > Patrick:
. >
. > Now, I'm confused.  I have a swimming pool and spa in the back yard, and
. > another spa in the side yard off of the master bedroom.  Both have large
. > stainless steel filters.  There are also a number of stainless steel
. > fittings.  The rule seems to be:  If it isn't PVC (plastic) or copper,
. > then it's stainless steel.  I probably use about 200# of chlorine every
. > year. Most of the plumbing and equipment have at least ten years of
. > service, yet there is little or no corrosion!
. >
. > Stan R. Caldwell, P.E.
. > Dallas, Texas
. >