Welding Anchor Bolts

We have encountered a field condition with misplaced anchor bolts, whereby
in some instances we are getting only a couple of threads engagement between
the bolt and the nut.  These are 11/4 inch ASTM A307 anchor bolts.  The
question is, would it be acceptable to plug weld the nut to the bolt?  If
so, are there any special welding procedures to be specified?
Thanks for any advice.