Re: OSHA Stair

Harold, thanks for the additional information on stair design per OSHA.  I
did
look some more at the OSHA web site - although I couldn't find an
interpretation relating to this requirement, I did notice that several
listed
"Letters of Interpretation" allowed reasonable alternates which may not be
technically in compliance with the stated OSHA rules but which were noted as
"deminimis violations".  Thus a stair design per UBC might be considered a
"deminimis violation" since an engineered stair for a code prescribed load
would meet the general intent of OSHA.

It would be beneficial if OSHA would modify these requirements to be more in
line with current codes, rather than keep repeating antiquated design rules.

(Perhaps I will write them a letter, but it may take an "act of Congress" to
get them to change it.)