Electronic and Paper File Systems - Adobe Acrobat

Nick Arenson posted this message last 12/20/98. I wanted to follow up on
this one as it suddenly became an important issue in my office.
I recently purchased Adobe Acrobat 3.01 and have fallen in love with the
program. Virtually everything I do can be archived and viewed by others in
PDF format.
I use a Visioneer's Paperport deluxe to manage archived files, but it is a
proprietary system and will only export to Acrobat.

Does anyone know of a file management system that will track, organize, and
allow temporary viewing of PDF files? I've been searching for a program that
will work with PDF format and will create thumbnails of the documents.

Specifically, I can generate all of the documents (analysis, drafting, etc)
from multiple programs and print them to a PDF printer driver. I then
organize the entire analysis package into a PDF book which has a few
benefits. First, it is much smaller in size than the sum of the original
parts. Second, it will print to a conventional printer and look as good as
the original.
I save the originals either on a Zip drive or on Tape in case I need to edit
the originals at a later time.

Everything that I wish to save goes into PDF format including HTML pages
from the Internet (printing to PDF preserves the graphics in one file).

If anyone wants to discuss this topic - here I am:>)

Regards
Dennis Wish PE