RE: OSHA Stair

One last official OSHA response to totally clear up the issue.

Regards,
Harold Sprague
The Neenan Company
Gentleman:
The source of 1910.24(c) dates back to ANSI A64.1-1968, "Requirements for
Fixed Industrial Stairs". We have this document in our library, but it does
not give any further explanation as to what is meant by the terms in
1910.24(c). The OSHA regulation is written exactly the same as the ANSI
standard. This ANSI was subsequently replaced by ANSI A1264.1-1989, "Safety
Requirements for Workplace Floor and Wall Openings, Stairs, and Railing
Systems." Unfortunately, this newer ANSI uses exactly the same design load
criteria for stairs and does not provide any additional clarifying info. We
also have it in our library. Perhaps the only people who can really answer
what it means are those on the ANSI committee. We do not intend to seek
such an interpretation, but you may want to. Hope this helps.
Sincerely,
Wade

Recently Bill Sherman posed a question about OSHA stair requirements. I had
our safety officer (Paul Hamari) pass this on to our OSHA answer guy (Wade
Cooper cooper-wade(--nospam--at)dol.gov).
Following is his response.
Regards,
Harold Sprague
The Neenan Company
harold.sprague(--nospam--at)neenan.com
In reply, first of all it should be recognized that 1910.24(c) does not
apply to construction activities, it applies only to general industry
activities and those other activities referencing it. Therefore, it is not
applicable during the construction or installation of the stairs. It should
also be realized that the 1910.24(c) criteria is not applicable to stairs
used exclusively for fire exits, private residences, or articulated stairs.
In addressing your questions, I have attempted to find out more specifically
what is meant by 1910.24(c) by trying to find the original final register
which made it a final rule. I have not been able to locate it yet but have
our librarian working on it. It is clear however, that this standard
existed in the July 1, 1974 edition of 29CFR and is therefore fairly old.
Should I be able to find out more able it, I'll pass it to you when
received.
In the meantime, you should be aware that OSHA allows conformance with
current consensus standards, such as the UBC's design requirements, as long
as the current consensus standard is as effective as our regulations.
Since this UBC design criteria is universally acceptted in the engineering
community, OSHA should not have any problems with any stairs which are
designed and constructed in accordance with it. Thus, you are encouraged to
continue designing using the current UBC criteria as well as other current
consensus standards and should not worry about what is meant by 1910.24(c).
I regret that I could not find you a more clearer answer as to what was
meant by 1910.24(c), however, any information obtained will be forwarded to
you. Thanks for your concern to provide a safe and healthy environment.
Sincerely,
Wade