RE: slab on grade

Nothing crazy about it.

Make sure the design method you use allows for sub-grade friction effects
for shortening, differential shrinkage and differential temperature between
the top and bottom surfaces.

Use a higher strength concrete than normal to reduce shortening and
increase cracking strength.

Place the vapour barrier immediately below the slab on top of 2in of
levelled sand to reduce friction and make sure it is not punctured.

Definitely specify that 25% of prestress force (to each strand, not 100% to
25% of strands) be applied on the morning after the pour with the remainder
of the prestress force applied as soon as the on site measused concrete
strength reaches the recommended minimum for the anchorages.

Make sure you cure the slab well immediately it is possible, preferrably
with ponded water..

As you will probably be using unbonded strands, the addition of fibres
would not hurt as well.

At 12:19 4/01/99 -0600, you wrote:
>Crazy thought.  Post-tension it to limit the cracking.
>rdb

Regards  Gil Brock
Prestressed Concrete Design Consultants Pty. Ltd.
Ph +61 7 3807 8022		Fax +61 7 3807 8422
email:	gil(--nospam--at)rapt.pcdc.com.au