RE: Structural Engineering as Art

Dennis:

By saying "I have never been blessed with the ability to free-hand
my thoughts very well" you strengthen Milo's argument.  If some
aspect of your education had emphasized the importance of 'thinking
with your fingers' you would not have that limitation.  Most people
are not naturally great artists; it takes sincere (and sustained)
effort to develop and expand conceptualization skills.  Even the
great artists of the past (like Leonardo da Vinci) had to consider
dozens of options and "sketch" these ideas before they could even
begin to consider the details.  We are no different today.  While
developing concepts and when explaining the structure to owners,
architects, and others, we must be able to visualize and convey the
main ideas with pencil on paper.  If all our thoughts require
"electronic accuracy" we lose the immediacy in such situations and it
becomes clear that we lack the vision that characterizes a great
engineer.

Of course we should not "work out a solution that is 1/2 inch too
large for the space."  When conceptualizing structures we can
probably work to the nearest meter or without dimensions at all
because it is the overall behavior and appearance that matter.

Keeping in mind that the final product is not a drawing (electronic
or paper) but is a structure that is shaped by the hands
(of construction workers, for instance), "the tool that can best
convey your abstract thought into concrete reality" is a rough
sketch.  The drawings and specifications provide the details, but the
"art" is in the concept.

Like most structural engineers, I spend most of my time
considering details (of analysis, design, and contract documents) and
I find computer-based tools (and their creative use) efficient and
personally rewarding.  However, when I'm explaining to a
seven-year-old (or an architect) how the Golden Gate Bridge works,
"electronic accuracy" is meaningless; artist expression and
structural innovation spring from the human--the mind and the hand.

-Mike