RE: slab on grade

JERRY:

FOR BIG SLABS WITH NO JOINTS, IT IS HARD TO BEAT POST-TENSIONED CONCRETE.
YOU CAN SPECIFY A PARTIAL STRESS 24-36 HOURS AFTER THE INITIAL POUR WITH THE
FINAL STRESSING OPERATIONS AT 7 DAYS AFTER THE INITIAL POUR.  I HAVE HAD
GOOD RESULTS USING THIS SYSTEM FOR INDUSTRIAL SLABS AS WELL AS STIFFENED RIB
FOUNDATIONS IN EXPANSIVE CLAYS.  CHECK WITH THE POST-TENSIONING INSTITUTE
FOR DESIGN GUIDELINES SPECIFIC TO YOUR PROJECT.

ADDITIONALLY, THE DEPARTMENT OF THE ARMY (MAY BE AIR FORCE OR NAVY) HAS A
DESIGN MANUAL ENTITLED "DESIGN OF OUTDOOR RECREATIONAL FACILITIES."  WE HAVE
ONE SOMEWHERE AROUND THE OFFICE.

BRIAN K. SMITH, PE
BOSSIER CITY, LOUISIANA