RE: slab on grade

Jerry-

Before you go any further, run, don't walk to a good geotechnical
engineer to determine what your soil conditions are.  If you have an
expansive soil, the slab design will need to be quite different than if
it's not.  I imagine your fee is probably pretty low (compared to the
risk of problems) and these types of projects can go south in a hurry.

Bill Cain, SE
Oakland, CA