Re: Ketchum's Structural Engineers Handbook

Majid,

I have also been one to admire those engineers that have gone before us. Milo
Ketchum, Sr., of course, is one of those outstanding engineers that has left us
a legacy to follow. There is so much I have learned just by reading what they
left behind.

I occasionly get involved in remodeling of older structures and have found
these old books to be an invaluable resource. These books sometimes can be
found in used book stores or in my case an engineer friend who was retiring
gave some of them to me because of my interest in them. Some other  resources I
have collected and have found very useful include:

Concrete Engineer's Handbook by Hool and Johnson, 1918
(There are sections in here that talk about working strength and ultimate
strength, 4 way flat slabs (very common), SMI system (the flat slabs built with
circumferential rebar), 3 way flat slabs, inverted stirrups, arches, hydraulc
structures, analysis, formwork, etc.)

Steel and Timber Structures by Hool and Kinne, 1924

Pocket Companion by Carnegie Steel, 1923

Standard Steel Construction by Jones & Laughlin Steel, 1916

Continuous Frames of Reinforced Concrete by Hardy Cross, 1932

Theory of Plates and Shells by Timoshenko, 1959

Reinforced Cocrete Design Handbook by ACI, PCA, CRSI and RSBA, 1939?

The old ACI codes (I believe they go back to 1941).

The old CRSI manuals

The old AISC manuals

The old joist catalogs

I have also collected many articles over the years from publications that I
could not otherwise obtain but wanted an article or chapter on some specific
subject. Our local library was always more than willing to accomodate me and
typically would locate it (at another library) and make me a copy free of
charge.

One of my favorites is Westergaard's original paper for the Bureau of Public
Roads (1930's) which have some very useful charts for building engineers
regarding concentrated loads on structural slabs. Westergaard later did
research in the 40's for the large concentrated loads on runways. In the 50's,
Spangler did the only research that I am aware of  for shear stresses produced
on structural slabs by concentrated loads.............also very useful.

This early research by these engineers is very readable and easy for the
practicing engineer to understand and to utilize in their everyday practice. It
is the basis for many of the codes today.

Jim Kestner, P.E.
Green Bay, Wi.