Re: Calcium Chloride in Concrete

This is a complicated subject, but here goes........First refer to ACI 3.6.3 and 4.4. Admixtures, mix water and other materials may all contribute to the water soluble chloride ion content in hardened concrete. ACI table 4.4.1 gives limits on the maximum recommended contents. These are typically very small amounts. There are numerous well known admixtures out there that contain minute amounts of calcium chlorides. This is why it is very important to have those data sheets and certifications submitted and approved when you review the proposed mix designs. One should never use admixtures containing even trace amounts of calcium chlorides (other than from impurities) in prestressed concrete.

An admixture supplier, such as Master Builders, W.R. Grace or Euclid Chemical should be able to provide additional information for you.

If your contractor is using bulk calcium chloride, you have a major problem.

Jim Kestner, P.E.
Green Bay, Wi.

Fountain Conner wrote:

Have I fallen from the train?

I have never allowed Calcium Chloride in any of my concrete.

But contractors and concrete suppliers in this area (we sometimes have some
low temperatures), will use it without even asking.

Has concrete chemistry changed so that calcium chloride is no longer
harmful to concrete and/or rebar?

Fountain E. Conner, P.E.
Gulf Breeze, Fl. 32561
*   site at: http://www.seaint.org