RE: Seismic Zones in Texas

No, Ken, you are not getting old and afraid of change.  You are getting wiser
in your older age.

What is happening is what Henry Petroski describes as the 30 year (or 35
year) syndrome.  Since 30 to 35 years is the approximate working life of an
individual, what he/she has learned *not* to do in that time, and the reasons
for it, has not been adequately passed down to the younger members of the
profession, they *don't* know what experience has shown to be inadequate.
Therefore, we start having a series of failures every 30 - 35 years.

Compound this with educators that have had little or no practical experience
who rely on computers that spit out answers in accordance with the
instructions that *they* put into the computer and we are in for some *big*
problems.

In the early 1960's it was a real chore to get masons to put reinforcing in
masonry, at least here in Arizona.  ("All we need is a header every 5 courses
and the wall is not going to go anywhere.")  Finally we were able to get
masons to accept the need for reinforcing, however, the new masonry codes
erode this requirement for seismic zone 2 locations by extrapolating tests
that were intended only for small, single story, lightly loaded masonry
construction to all masonry construction in seismic zone 2.

The USGS Seismic maps are not gospel.  Depending on how the head of the USGS
seismic branch wants to have the maps look will depend on what we see.
Algermissen's first map (1971), based on historical seismicity, was quite a
bit different than his second map (ca. 1985), based strictly on probability
(and politically modified), which is quite a bit different than Arthur
Frankel's map (ca.1990's), which is based on a combination of probability and
historical seismicity, which is quite a bit different from his map that
doesn't have the accelerations divided by 4.  Have you seen the USGS map that
shows California accelerations of 3.9g?  I would venture to say that very few
people have.

A. Roger Turk, P.E.(Structural)
Tucson, Arizona

Ken Tarlow wrote:

. > Is anyone else thinking this will be a disaster? or am I just getting
. > old and am afraid of change.