Re: Critical section for shear in wood beams

I have often wondered about this inconsistency between the ACI and NDS codes (I am sure
there are others) but have never been able to find an answer for this other than
different committees developed those code requirements. Granted these are different
materials, but I think the mechanics must be similar.

I believe it is important to address these inconsistencies to eliminate confusion.
Maybe a letter needs to be written to each organization pointing out the inconsistency
and suggesting that they get together to try to resolve it.

Jim Kestner, P.E.
Green Bay, Wi.